I love old fashioned overnight sourdough pancakes because they are easy to prep and they make weekend breakfast a breeze. Reap the benefits of long-fermented grains by using your sourdough starter to transfer a timeless breakfast favorite.
If you are new to the sourdough community, welcome! Old fashioned overnight sourdough pancakes are a great way to put your new starter to use. Your starter does not need to be well established to make delicious and gut-beneficial pancakes as it would be for loaves of bread. This recipe is simple and easy to use. There are no complicated steps. You simply prep the batter at night, add the last few ingredients in the morning, and ta-da delicious sourdough pancakes! I love it because they are delicious and it saves me so much time in the morning! I can have hot pancakes on the table within ten minutes.
Overnight Sourdough Pancake Ingredients:
Wet Overnight Ingredients
- 1 Cup of sourdough starter-can be active and bubbly or discard
- 2 Eggs
- 3 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
- 1 Cup of milk
Dry Overnight Ingredients
- 1 1/2 Cups of flour-I use freshly milled einkorn flour
- 2 TBSP of granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tsp of sea salt
- 2 Tsp of baking powder
- 1 Tsp of baking soda
- 1 Tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 Tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp of ground nutmeg
Directions for Overnight Sourdough Pancakes:
- In a large bowl, add 1 cup of active sourdough starter or discard, two eggs, 3 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil, and one cup of milk. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of flour, 2 TBSP of sugar, and 1/2 Tsp of sea salt to the bowl. Stir until there are no lumps or only a few small lumps left.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and then place it in the fridge to ferment overnight.
- The next morning, take the pancake batter out of the fridge and sprinkle the morning ingredients on top: 2 tsp of baking powder, 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, 2 tsp of cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. Stir the ingredients in and allow the batter to sit for about 5 minutes. The batter will begin to bubble and aerate.
- While you are waiting for the sourdough pancake batter to bubble, heat a cast-iron skillet or non-stick pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add butter or oil to the pan once it is preheated.
- Add the sourdough pancake batter to a hot pan and cook on one side until you see the edges pull up, then flip the pancake.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Sourdough Pancake Toppings:
Pancakes are more versatile than most people think. Here are some topping ideas to make your weekend breakfast unique and delicious:
- Peanut butter and jam
- Sausage and eggs for a pancake sandwich
- Maple syrup
- Bananas and chocolate chips
- Homemade berry sauce
- Fruit compote
- Homemade naturally sweetened whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
- Apple butter
Benefits of Long-Fermented Foods
Long-fermented foods are full of probiotics that promote not only good gut health but good health overall. By fermenting the pancake batter, the good bacteria and yeasts in your starter are taking over the fresh grains in the batter. As they take over the pancake batter, they are breaking down complex carbs and starches within the grain which makes it easier to digest.
More Breakfast Recipes
You can check out my other breakfast recipes by going to food from scratch, breakfast. I hope you enjoy our Steiger Family Farms recipes!
7 thoughts on “Old Fashioned Overnight Sourdough Pancakes”
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that Ive truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!
I appreciate you taking the time to create this post. It has long been extremely helpful to me in fact. Appreciate it.
Super-Duper website! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also
That is the proper blog for anybody who needs to search out out about this topic. You notice a lot its almost arduous to argue with you (not that I really would need…HaHa). You positively put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply great! Popular Free Webmaster